Together with the Belted, this is the most popular of the unofficial colours of Welsh cattle. It is certainly the one with the longest history. Originally cattle with red ears were favoured. Today the majority of Welsh White cattle have black ears, although individuals with recessive red ears still occur. This colour was at one time more common in South Wales than in the North. At the beginning of the twentieth century, two herds existed in South Wales. The herd at Lamphey Court, Pembrokeshire was dispersed in 1918; that at Dinefwr, Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire was moved to Northumberland in 1980. In 1872, Sir (Duff) Assheton-Smith introduced a herd of White Park cattle from Argyllshire to Faenol Park, Bangor. This herd was moved to Shugborough, Staffordshire in 1980.